Wednesday, December 10, 2014

12/11/2014 -- Coming Attractions - Invasion of the Saucer-Men

Here's something a little bit different. Though it may appear to be so, it isn't a page from the "Invasion of the Martian Men" comic story from Creepsville #1 that I've been showing here on the Blog.

What is it, you may ask? Years ago when I drew this, I was thinking of doing a monster magazine. My adolescent years were filled with reading issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland, reducing them to tatters. I also thought I would have to do something that Uncle Forry wasn't doing to get any attention.

As luck would have it, a friend of mine had given me a couple of videotapes filled with horror movie trailers. One of the tapes was very American International Pictures heavy. I watched these tapes quite a bit and finally decided to use them. Since these old prevues were in the public domain, I knew I could recreate material from them without getting in trouble. I drew this 2 page adaptation of the trailer for one of my favorite monster movies with plans to do more. I thought I could have a trailer adapted in every issue. It was a fun idea, but I was distracted. At that time, I was back at Northern Illinois University trying to get my Comprehensive Design art school sheepskin. I was also running a comic book store that I owned. Oh, and a friend of mine and I started working on a motion picture (a monster movie called Carnivore, which did get done, was released and even got shown on the SciFi Channel).

Still, I think this basic, simple idea does have has potential. Let's see what happpens down the road a way.

Click on the pictures below to see the larger, legible images.



No comments:

Post a Comment