Saturday, October 4, 2014

10/05/2014: This Week's Creepsville Page Plus King-Cat Comics John Porcellino the DVD

October... and Halloween is upon us. I'm sure it won't surprise you to hear that Halloween is my favorite holiday. As it came into view, I started getting grandiose ideas for an all-new big Halloween story for this blog. Honestly, though I would dearly like to do that, the timing is too late. Add to that the Herculean task of the Creepsville Collected book. That must be my main focus now (reminded Frank to himself, pounding his fragile skull).  So, I'll hold onto those story ideas until the summer (possibly earlier) and have it ready to go next year, after the book is done.

Whew! That was close. Anyways... here's this week's Creepsville page. Click on the image to see a larger version. Meanwhile, I'm still going to get the decorations out and get some scary Halloween stuff up at the Laughing Reindeer ranch. I will still have some stuff up here, too.

 
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE DEPT: This is a rarity for me, posting an updated Laughing Reindeer blog, but I just have to alert all of you that Dan Stafford's documentary, Root Hog Or Die, about John Porcellino and King-Cat Comics is out on DVD. It's an eye opening look at John's life, creatively, philosophically and surviving illnesses, among other things and how they all came together in King-Cat Comics. There's so much I didn't know about John, who turned up at my comic book store in St Charles, IL, back in the late 80s with his photocopied comic (he still photocopies it, but collections are in trade paperback or even hardcover). I liked it from the giddyup and encouraged my customers to try it out. I'm actually in the documentary for a short time, too. In making this movie, filmmaker Dan Stafford joined John on a coast to coast self-propelled tour, wherein Stafford had a chance to talk to a good number of folks who know John. The DVD (which includes the 104 minute documentary, 40 minutes of bonus features, and a new 8-page comic about John and Dan on the road) is available now from Kilgore Books (http://KilgoreBooks.com) for only $15.00. I still can happily encourage everyone to read King-Cat... and get this DVD.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment