Sunday, May 3, 2009

Just For the Heck of It: A Movie Poster


I'm intrigued by how lurid this poster looks for Al Adamson's Dracula Vs. Frankenstein. Initially when I came upon it, I thought it was that Jess Franco flick also known as Dracula, Prisoner of Frankenstein. I don't remember any "Love Tramps" in the movie...

I found myself unable to sleep last night (unfortunately, a very common thing with me as I get older), and I put on my DVD for this film. I know it's awful, and poor old Lon Chaney looks really bad... but it's a pie slice out of time that reeks of atmosphere reflecting its creation era better than any of the Hollywood A picture stuff at the time. I know that American film in the 70s is looked upon, generally, as one of the last great periods of domestic filmmaking, but don't get me wrong. With Dracula Vs. Frankenstein, I get that oozing, uncomfortable atmosphere of a real, trash-strewn, run down dump sort of place that current horror films seem incapable of doing. I'm a sucker for atmosphere.
Just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment